8 Mistakes That Ruin A Love Of The Game A Must Read For Coaches & Parents
In the hockey world, there is one constant complaint heard repeatedly from parents and players alike.
The vast majority of coaches do not understand or know how to properly work with and develop their goaltenders. Many, however, believe that they do, resulting in confusion and frustration for coach, team, and goaltender.
This problem has caused dissension among parents, destroyed the confidence of many talented young goalies, and even driven goaltenders out of the game they love.
We are left with one basic question: "How do coaches rectify this major problem and properly develop their goaltenders, while keeping the game fun for everyone?"
Target Practice provides coaches with the proper steps and tools to understand what is required to work with and develop goaltenders of any age. Coaching is a noble and often thankless job, but one caring people assume because they want to make a difference. No coach wants to be responsible for a young goaltender leaving the game -- yet it happens all too often!
This book is filled with the knowledge, insight, and support you need to effectively and efficiently work the Essential Core Goaltending Skills that all goalies require, want, and yearn for their coaches to help them develop.
In Target Practice, Chris Dyson shares his 30+ years of goaltender coaching experience in order to provide simple, easy-to-understand, progressive development techniques, as well as common mistakes and an understanding of what coaches must learn and be aware of when developing goaltenders.
"Goalies must have an understanding of how to incorporate maximum net coverage, minimizing movement to become as efficient as possible, expending minimal energy, while working to develop a style that suits individual abilities and strengths." - Chris Dyson
Learn How To . . .
- Approach, in an effective and knowledgeable way, the task of coaching goaltenders.
- Understand how progressive goalie coaching is a necessity for success.
- Internalize the 8 Essential Core Goaltending Skills every coach must know in order to effectively work with hisor her goalie (or even discuss technical aspects of the position).
- Discover key elements affecting the goaltender's level of play that are not even taught by many true goalie coaches.
- Determine why bringing in "pseudo-goalie coaches" is one of the biggest mistakes coaches and parents make.
- Connect with your goaltenders and understand what their frustrations are and how to help them cope.
- Ascertain exactly what the most common mistakes are and the true "root causes" that are missed almost universally by untrained coaches.
- Identify the number one complaint of many goalie parents and how you can deal with it immediately.
- Comprehend the basic truth that goaltenders truly desire productive on-ice sessions and direct interactions with their coaches.
- Recognize the number one, most important skills a goaltender must focus on and develop in order to improve; most coaches miss them entirely
- Gain helpful strategies that actually make working with your goaltenders fun.
- Realize that when your goaltender is receiving proper training and attention, your whole team (as well as the parents of team members) will be more efficient and cohesive.
- Confirm, finally, that you, as a coach, have an incredible amount of influence over the level of enjoyment or suffering your goaltenders will experience -- based solely on your commitment to and knowledge of the material in this book.
- You can positively influence your goaltenders through proper training, but the biggest reward will be in knowing you will have made a difference in their enjoyment of the game -- and thus enriched their lives.
- Progressive training and a basic understanding of the Essential Core Goaltending Skills are absolutely necessary to achieve the desired result.
- The game is certainly not all about winning, but it is definitely more fun when you win more. No one understands this more than a goaltender. Proper goalie training, then, can only result in better goaltenders and happier teams.
- As a coach, you have the power to help players attain goals and establish lifelong patterns of hard work, perseverance, and dedication. Your actions and words will have an equally powerful -- but negative -- impact when you speak without the required knowledge contained within this book.
The methods and information provided within Target Practice are applicable to goaltenders of all ages and skill levels
In These Pages You Will Uncover . . .
This book will help you to understand how to properly teach and work with goaltenders of any age, knowing you will have been a positive influence in their lives and enhanced their enjoyment of the game.
- Chris provides what is missing from coaching programs and this is why this book is so important. Much of the information that is out there is too technical and unless you play the position it’s difficult to understand, so misinformation is given to the kids by minor hockey coaches who try to tell the goalies how they think the position should be played. Rick Heinz, Former NHL Goaltender
- A lot of coaches aren't that eager to work with the goalie at all. They should be working to refine the goalies craft throughout the season. John Garrett, Former NHL Goaltender, Professional Commentator with Hockey Night In Canada
- Finally! Chris Dyson answered the questions no-one knew how to ask. After 25+ years involved in the industry, It’s great to see this grass roots level support and guidance for the most highly criticized, under- developed position in the game. Don Straus, Founder Armadilla Masks, World Renowned Artist
- I have never before seen information for coaches that is so useful, easily digestible, quick to read and easy to implement. Hockey coaches and parents everywhere will be thrilled with the content of this book! Colin Hopper, President Source For Sports London, Former President Sports Distributors Canada
- Providing coaches with the skills to properly work with their goaltenders is awesome and perfect. I cannot imagine a single coach not jumping at the chance to take advantage of such an opportunity, especially at the grass roots level. Larry Feist Publisher, Hockey Now Magazine
- The game has dramatically changed, but one thing that hasn’t is the core fundamentals of goaltending. Coaches at every level must be able to understand and teach these. Jim Ralph, NHL Broadcaster & Media Personality
- Getting the essential core goaltending skills into the hands of grass roots coaches is perfect, it needs to happen. It is a discipline unlike any other. Mike Stubbs, Professional Broadcaster & Radio Personality
- If the advice contained in Chris‘ book is made mandatory learning for minor hockey coaches, it will positively change the face of goaltending in North America. Joni Hallikainen, Former Pro Goaltender, Professional Goaltending Consultant, Professional Mask Builder & Artist